Sunday, August 14, 2005

Lesson Learned

One of the most interesting lessons I learned from my Lydia experience, is that no matter what the day has entailed, people here still want dinner! Is it not amazing that food is always a priority even if partial death has existed in that day? Okay, so today wasn't a partial death day but dinner still needed to be accomplished. I actually cooked MEAT. Which I have been doing more since Michael has lived here. Which creates that question....what does Lydia eat? Stir Fry with Beef was on the menu and a very green leafy delicious salad.
Quayde actually ate leafy greens , okay just a couple of leaves but it is a huge step for him. He has been known to stand in the grocery store chanting "no leafy greens, no leafy greens", so this is major progression. I enjoyed a very unique raspberry-hazelnut vinaigrette on my salad. Quite supreme.

Now that I have a man living here, I feel a greater obligation to create meals. The whole routine of 'fend for yourself' nights or the favorite 'we're eating cereal' has now gone by the wayside. Since we are a family that has to be flexible, I hate planning menus that tell you what you HAVE to eat for that day. I think I have come up with a solution of maybe having theme days. Perhaps Monday is Mexican, Tuesday is Italian etc... then having several different choices to make. So what is the routine in your home, got any tips on serving your family each night? In other words, what the heck is for dinner at your house?

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comment is to wonder why you would change you just because you have a man living in your house? How about asking him responsible for those meals that you would usually say "fend for yourself" or "cereal night" and allow yourself to be YOU!

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...another idea, since you asked, is what I used to do to create more ease in my life. On Monday (or the weekend) I'd cook a pot of cooked whole grain (rice, millet, buckwheat, barley etc), a pot of beans (white, pinto, pink, black etc), and a a pot of pasta noodles. I'd chop lots of vegies and put them into a sealed bowl along with various chopped nuts (you could use meats instead of nuts). Monday would be stir fry night (either with a grain or my favorite an asian noodle for lo mein), Tuesday I'd use the leftovers to make a cold pasta or grain "salad" with a yummy dressing on top, Wednesday mexican night with the beans, rice and vegies you already cooked, Thursday Italian night, Friday soup using the rest of the raw vegies, beans and noodles or rice. Get creative...and include your kids! My kids have a night where they treat me to a Redwall meal each week, it's so fun! I LOVE YOU!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home