Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Counterculture

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." H.D. Thoreau
The girls and I just had a very enjoyable time discussing Thoreau and counterculture. For two girls who have lived their lives with a mom who has them sit in the wild and listen, who grinds our wheat several times a week to make bread etc.., who homeschools, homebirths, no t.v. and so on... the concept of counterculture and what Thoreau's "experiment" was, just ringing true to how they have lived their lives thus far.
I think a main thread of truth I want to leave with them is a question. The question of are they being REAL? and are they being TRUE? to what life is about.
My observation is that I see too many people so caught up in existence, in quiet desperation that they are in prison, that they forget to live and breath each moment.
So fast food, frozen dinners, mindless tv shows, etc... are acceptable because one doesn't have to feel. One doesn't have to be mindful about living.

1 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Ninny said...

I LOVE that quote!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home